On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 the City of Batavia celebrated the groundbreaking for their Flag Day Monument, which will be constructed near the City’s Riverwalk.
Nearly 3 years in the making, the Flag Day Monument will honor Dr. Bernard Cigrand, a longtime resident of Batavia who is recognized as the father of Flag Day in the United States. The monument should be constructed by Flag Day 2023, and will feature some of the following elements:
- 40′ diameter helix with a 6′ wide walkway around the perimeter
- 50′ tall flag pole with a 10’x18′ flag
- Helix that represents the growth of the City’s population since 1776
- Five obelisks that commemorate iconic flag events
- Red bands, representing the 27 official flags of the United States
- Blue bands that signify our nation’s time at war